Tuesday, March 15, 2016

My New Interest

I am such a slacker! It's been 7 months since that last post, but I just wasn't sure what to write about. I still haven't completely figured out what I want to focus on, but I can tell you that right now, for the first time in a long time, I have an interest that is kind of life consuming. So, what is it you ask?

ALL THINGS KOREAN

I don't even remember how it happened, but somehow I stumbled across something Korean, I think it was Simon and Martina from Eat Your Kimchi on YouTube and fell in love. I began watching Kdramas, listening to Kpop, and eating Korean food. Let me tell you, it's all AMAZING!

The shows and music are easy to access, thanks to the power of the internet, and some Korean snacks are available through monthly subscription boxes. However, the real honest -to-goodness, homemade food is a little trickier here is Northeast Tennessee. There are two Korean restaurants in my area, but their hours are wonky and I haven't been able to find certain staple items, such as Gochujang, Korean red pepper paste, which is in a ton of Korean dishes. I currently have my sister, who lives in Pennsylvania working on getting some for me, because I feel she can probably find it cheaper than online.

I did make some Korean beef bulgogi wraps the other night, which were yummy and my husband actually really enjoyed.

I have been listening to a ton of Kpop. My current favorite groups/singers, in no particular order, are Big Bang, BTS, SHINee, EXO, f(x), Red Velvet, Taemin, and G-Dragon. I have always joked with my husband that I really listen to music for the musical aspect, not necessarily because of the lyrics and I think my listening to Kpop proves my point. I have no idea what they are talking about, but I love it! I am also a child of the 90's so boy bands are in my blood, so it makes sense that these choreographed, harmonizing young men would be right up my alley.

Now when it comes to Kdramas, there isn't a rhyme or reason to the shows I watch. I just start one that looks interesting and 16 hours later I emerge, eyes squinting in the sunlight, from the house, sad that my favorite characters will never been seen again because Kdramas notoriously only last one season. The first Kdrama I watched was Flower Boy Ramen Shop. I was watching so many shows that I finally broke down and paid for a subscription to DramaFever so I could watch hours of uninterrupted Kdramas.

So, now that you know my newest obsession, feel free to join me in the madness that is ALL THINGS KOREAN!

Until next time...which is hopefully not seven months from now :)




1 comment: